Thursday, March 10, 2011

1st Training Race 03/06/2011

Well, the racing season has officially started for me as of Sunday. It was a very short, 12 mile crit in Central Park. There was a 10 or 20% chance of light rain, so I should have guessed that would have meant 100% chance of rain here in Gotham City, NY. Despite, my close monitoring of the weather, I was poorly dressed for the conditions. Funny how low 50's with an icy drizzle might feel a little like a game winning Gatorade bath, but I digress. So, I get to the event about an hour before race start (No rain yet), sign in, and get my race number. Now it is about 30 minutes before race start, time to warm up. I  jump on the bike and do a couple loops in the park. 5 minutes before race start I am at the line and warmed up, and here is the light rain. To be honest, I have trained for this and had an idea it would rain, so bring on the rain big guy. OK, 10 minutes after race start, only we have not started racing and I am standing there in the drizzle. Warm up, pretty much gone. Cool down, complete. The good news is everyone is in the same boat. I noticed there are a lot of team kits in my cat 5 group. Actually, everyone was part of a team except me and maybe one or two other guys. A few guys were talking about past years races at that venue and I was wondering why they were still in cat 5 if they had raced multiple years? (hmmm another post topic coming soon) Finally, the race starts and we are full speed almost from go. This is just a training race for me so I am just riding with the group and getting my legs back. I already decided not to be too aggressive like I usually am. Well, I was immediately swallowed up and dumped out the back, while being cut off and bumped multiple times in the first few minutes. Aggression is better, so I turn on the jets and get to the front few spots and stay there. There were a few early breakaways and I chased them all down. Remember, training race so have some fun, right? Near the end of the first lap (of two), I was with a good jump of three guys, but they blew up and I was stuck out until the group came flying by at 30mph. I got back in the group and tried to secure a place in the middle. I heard about the crazy antics here in the park with racers cutting each other off and crashes. Then, here it comes, out of control racer guy veers right into my front wheel and I get tossed into another racer to my left. Having just barely avoided a 30mph yard sale, I slowed to 10mph and started my sprint to catch back up to the group. I realized my TT pace of 27mph was not going to catch the 28-29mph of the group. Time for a nice solo ride through Central Park. I waited for a few dropped racers and finished up just in front of them in (not sure what) place. When I stopped I noticed my rear brake was pushed snugly over into my wheel and rubbing nicely. I felt strong and felt fast so I know I will make it back there and win before the end of the season. It was fun, and a learning experience. I had the mindset to train and have fun for this one. If I was there to win, the weather conditions and the careless racing of others would not have factored in at all. I wasn't noticed by any other racers (especially the one who swerved into my wheel) and no one knows how fast I really am. I will put on a display for them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment